Written by Tanya Wylde, BSc, ND
1) Cleanse your home of toxic household cleaners and switch over to environmentally friendly products that are safe for the whole family. Many household cleaners have ingredients that are toxic to the reproductive organs and are endocrine disruptors (which means that they can be damaging to your ovaries, testicles, thyroid and other endocrine glands). So the goal is to find products that are as natural as possible and free of these chemicals! Here are some ideas that I recommend:
- Nature Clean and Citrasolv are two companies that have many cleaning products that are natural, effective, free of chemicals and safe for the family. We like their hand-soaps, dishwashing soaps, laundry detergent and bathroom, shower and counter top cleaners: http://www.naturecleanliving.com/our_products & http://www.citrasolv.com/products.shtml
- Borax Powder is a naturally occurring mineral that helps laundry detergents clean more effectively, it helps keep stains from being re-deposited on to your laundry and helps control odours naturally. http://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/about/what-is-borax/
- Instead of using those smelly, chemical filled, dryer sheets, try re-usable, non-scented, natural laundry dryer sheets. The perfume, dye and chemical free way to keep your fabrics soft, natural and free of static.
- White vinegar has many uses. We find it especially useful for cleaning windows and mirrors.
- One of our favourite natural product finds is called “Benefect” which is a botanical disinfectant made from essential oils that kills over 99.9% of germs and is anti-fungal, anti-viral and made from plant extracts. This is much better than strong disinfectants that contain synthetic fragrances, dyes and bleach. http://www.benefect.com/US_benefect/US_products.php
2) Change all of your cosmetics and body products to those that have natural ingredients that are free of endocrine disruptors such as triclosan, triclocarban, bronopol, parabens, methylparbens, butylparabens, propylparabens and (a synthetic mix likely to include endocrine disrupting phthalates and other hazardous chemicals). Here are some of the products that we have been found to be effective, natural and safe for the whole family. For more ideas and home made products go to http://lesstoxicguide.ca/
1. For shampoo and conditioner I recommend: Avalon organics http://www.avalonorganics.com/lavender-nourishing-shampoo
2. For deodorants I recommend and use: http://deodorantclub.com/our-deodorant/ and http://m.purelygreat.com/ingredients/ These deodorants actually work! And no more aluminum, chemicals or harsh smelling fragrances!!!! I’m so happy to have finally discovered both brands!!!
3. For full body moisturizer and shampoo and conditioner consider using: “EverydayShea” moisturizing body lotion: http://www.everydayshea.com/
4. For a face moisturizer try: http://www.sigridnaturals.com/skin-care/face-and-eyes/nurture-nature-face-cream
Please feel free to comment and share your favourite natural, chemical free products with us!
~Tanya Wylde, BSc, ND
Click HERE for Tanya’s Bio
For Tanya’s Facebook page: Dr.TanyaWylde, Naturopathic Doctor